Last updated: 2022-04-22
The privacy of your data — and it is your data, not ours! — is a big deal to us. In this policy, we lay out: what data we collect and why; how your data is handled; and your rights to your data.
In the following policy, SimpleLogin refers to the service offered by SimpleLogin SAS (the “Company” or “We”) through the https://simplelogin.io website (the “Service”).
The Company is registered in France under the SIREN number 884302134.
What we collect and why
Identity & access
In order to create an account, we require your email address. We also give you the option to add a name and profile picture that displays in our products, but we do not normally look at or access these information. We’ll never sell your personal info to third parties, and we won’t use your name in marketing statements without your permission either.
When you pay for a SimpleLogin product, we ask for your credit card or PayPal and billing address. That’s so we can charge you for service, calculate taxes due, and send you invoices. Your credit card is passed directly to our payment processor and doesn’t ever go through our servers.
Currently we rely on Paddle to process credit card and PayPal transactions. Payments via our iOS app are processed by Apple. Anonymous cash, cryptocurrency payments and donations are accepted however.
When you write to us with a question or to ask for help, we keep that correspondence, including the email address, so that we have a history of past correspondences to reference if you reach out in the future.
When we access or share your information
Our default practice is to not access your information. The only times we’ll ever access or share your info are:
To help you troubleshoot or squash a software bug, with your permission. If at any point we need to access your account to help you with a Support case, we will ask for your consent before proceeding.
To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding restricted uses. Accessing a customer’s account when investigating potential abuse is a measure of last resort. We have an obligation to protect the privacy and safety of both our customers and the people reporting issues to us. We do our best to balance those responsibilities throughout the process. If we do discover you are using our products for a restricted purpose, we will report the incident to the appropriate authorities.
When required under applicable law. If the appropriate law enforcement authorities have the necessary warrant, criminal subpoena, or court order requiring we share data, we have to comply. And unless we’re legally prevented from it, we’ll always inform you when such requests are made. We have never received a such request from the government.
How we secure your data
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser. The database backups are also encrypted. Most data are not encrypted while they live in our database (since it needs to be ready to send to you when you need it), but we go to great lengths to secure your data at rest.
Our servers are provided by Proton, UpCloud and AWS. We are using datacenters that are located in Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands and France.
For more information on our server security, you can consult our security page.
When you delete your account
In SimpleLogin, you have the option to delete your account. Your account along with all your information are deleted immediately in the running database. All your information will be purged from our system in maximum 30 days, including:
- Database backups that are kept up to 14 days
- System logs that are deleted after 30 days
Information We Collect Automatically
Your emails: SimpleLogin does not store your emails. An email is deleted from SimpleLogin server as soon as it reaches its destination, i.e. your mailboxes for an email sent to your alias or your contact mailbox in case an email is sent from your alias. Emails that cannot be delivered are kept for 7 days so you can view and decide what to do with them.
IP Logging: By default, SimpleLogin does not keep permanent IP logs. IP addresses can appear in Postfix (our MTA) and Nginx (our webserver) logs. Logs older than 7 days are deleted. However your IP address may be retained permanently if you are engaged in activities that breach our terms and conditions (spamming, DDoS attacks, brute force attacks, etc). The legal basis of this processing is our legitimate interest to protect our service against nefarious activities
Account activity: Due to limitations of the SMTP protocol, we have access to the following email metadata: sender and recipient email addresses, the IP address incoming messages originated from, message subject, and message sent and received times. We do NOT have access to encrypted message content but unencrypted messages sent from external providers to SimpleLogin are scanned for Spam and Viruses to pursue the legitimate interest of the protection of our users. We also have access to the following records of account activity: number of messages sent, amount of storage space used, total number of messages, last login time.
Third party services
CloudFlare: we use CloudFlare for managing our DNS records.
Zendesk: we use Zendesk for managing support tickets.
Your Rights With Respect to Your Information
At SimpleLogin, we apply the same data rights to all customers, regardless of their location. Currently some of the most privacy-forward regulations in place are the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) in the US. SimpleLogin recognizes all of the rights granted in these regulations, except as limited by applicable law. These rights include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure / “To be Forgotten”. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession and, by extension, all of our service providers. Fulfillment of some data deletion requests may prevent you from using SimpleLogin services because our applications may then no longer work. In such cases, a data deletion request may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority. To identify your specific authority or find out more about this right, EU individuals should go to https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed, including opting out of sale of personal information. (Again: we never have and never will sell your personal data).
- Right to Object. You have the right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. You have the right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. You have the right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable law, or is based on your explicit consent.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. This right stems from the CCPA. We do and will not charge you a different amount to use our products, offer you different discounts, or give you a lower level of customer service because you have exercised your data privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain rights (such as the right “to be forgotten”) may, by virtue of your exercising those rights, prevent you from using our Services.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and directly updating your account information. If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at SimpleLogin, 147 boulevard Henri Sellier, 92150 Suresnes, France. To identify your specific authority to file a complaint or find out more about GDPR, EU individuals should go to https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
Changes & questions
We may update this policy as needed to comply with relevant regulations and reflect any new practices. You can see a history of the changes to our policies on Github. Whenever we make a significant change to our policies, we will also announce them on our company blog.